Sunday, January 25, 2009

winter wonderland

Asturias still surprises me every day.  We have so many different landscapes in a small province.  Greg went skiing last weekend, and was sore for days, but had a great time.  And on Wednesday I went on another hike with my friends in 4 inches of snow.  It was fun to be the first footprints!  And you can't hike through snow without throwing a few snowballs.  I'm always amazed at the way of life here, even in Gijon-the biggest city in Asturias-I have to go to a few different grocery stores to get the things I need and they've never heard of preservatives... chicken goes bad the next day, no pre-made anything.  I'm actually starting to enjoy it.  But out in the mountains where we go on our hikes, I don't know how these people live!  We'll be hiking through what seems the middle of nowhere and come across a little village of 5-7 houses.  My spanish teacher told me that different trucks will travel out to these towns every week or every other week to sell goods (fish, meat, pharmaceuticals, etc).  I'm really glad Greg didn't move me out there... anyway, here are some pictures.
And yesterday (Saturday) we went to a different area to the East where the coasts are met by big cliffs.  This area is known for holes that have been formed because of the water that go from the sides of the cliffs and come out on the surface like these huge geysers.  I had no idea where were actually going and was wearing my nice boots and wool coat, and arrived at this mud/rocky parking lot with water/air streaming out of random holes, luckily my husband had an extra pair of shoes in the back and let me wear his jacket, what a sweetheart!  Here are some pictures from that adventure too.
Our friends daughter running away from the stream of air/water exploding
They went up at least 50ft!

Greg ran to the end of this rainbow..and regretfully informed me that there is no gold. 

No comments: