Tuesday, September 23, 2008

another hiking adventure

Sunday after church, Greg and I called Brian and Jodie to check out their plans for lunch.  They had decided to take the afternoon to drive out to "Cabo de Peñas" which is the most northern tip of Asturias.  We were told that there is a restaurant out there, so we brought snacks just in case, and drove west in search of this cape.  Brian was an awesome navigator and we were there in no time.  

We ate lunch in the only restaurant offered, and they're lucky the view was AWESOME because they were the most unhappy looking staff I have ever seen.  I don't think any of them could actually talk, there was a lot of grunting, and absolutely no smiling-i think it must be forbidden.  The food was ok, I had the best salad I've ever had here before my fish, so that was a plus.  Greg's boss had visited this site a week before and his wife told us there was a cross out on the rock that you could hike out to, but she warned us that the hike probably wouldn't be so easy.  Of course we had to take the challenge, we found what looked like a trail and started climbing rocks/cutting ourselves on foliage (it looked like grass-but would bite you when you weren't paying attention)
We climbed the rocks and hung over the cliffs until we found the tip, Greg beat us there because he followed the actual trail-which was straight up a side of the big rock, I was terrified of this so Brian, Jodie, and I found a bit of a smoother way.  And of course, Jesus has claimed the most northern tip, and we all hung out with the cross for awhile before we trekked back to the bottom.  It was really beautiful, and we're just continually amazed at the beauty of the countryside, I've never really seen anything like it here.
On a REALLY exciting note, my wonderful husband got me a dryer yesterday!  So although no matter what you do laundry still takes forever, I have the joy of being able to dry my own clothes and not hanging them on the line and taking them to Jodie's.  I'm so excited!
  
      

No comments: