Tuesday, October 28, 2008

sorry for the delay =)

I can't believe I haven't posted in so long!  So much has been going on, I had a temporary technical problem with my computer, one of my lovely puppies chewed through my power cord and I was without power until we bought a new one.  The joys of being puppy parents...
This past weekend we had sleepover visitors for the first time!  One of my good friends from college is teaching at the American School in Madrid this year, and her boyfriend Josh is working for the Spanish public school system teaching English.  All of their friends in Madrid told them they had to visit Asturias (the province we live in), so they came up for the weekend before it got to cold.
It was awesome!  They took the bus up from Madrid (which takes about 5 1/2 hours if anyone is interested, and costs about 25 Euros) and got into Gijon at 10:45 pm on Friday night.  We stayed up talking until 1:30 am or so, and then went to sleep for a LONG time =)  Saturday we went for a long walk along the coast.  San Lorenzo was an early explorer of the area and they've since made a beautiful trail/path on his original route.  So we took the puppies (of course!) and had an awesome time walking in the beautiful fall weather.  Needless to say, I think they'll be coming back to play in the ocean once it's warm.  Saturday night after dinner, we took them to see our famous drink-sidra.  Sidra is a drink made in Asturias from apples, it's kind of an apple cider type thing, that has to be aerated before you can enjoy it, so the bar tenders/waiters, pour it from above their heads into a glass that they hold down low with their other hand.  After watching professionals pour, we bought a few bottles ourselves and let Becky and Josh give it a shot, I'd never poured sidra before either, so Greg made me do it... I did pretty good, I probably only spilled 100 mL on the ground =)  It's really difficult.. if you come visit we'll make you try!  We've been told young boys practice with water.. when they're about 10-16... so they can pour the sidra for girls at the bar when they're old enough.  

On Sunday Greg and I got up as usual and got ready for church, and rushed out the door to get there on time.. we made it-at about 10:59 and realize no one else is there (church starts at 11).  Weird, right?  So I go into a little bread store and ask for the time... it's only 10!  Apparently Day Light Savings started here this past weekend and we didn't know!  I always laugh at people when that happens in the States... what comes around goes around.  
So for those of you in Delaware, for the next few days we're only 5 hours in the future.  
And lastly... we're turning into "those" dog parents, it's been really rainy and cold here, so Lola HATES going outside, I literally have to drag her to go out, Goyo loves it, so I look pretty funny with one dog running ahead and one being dragged behind.  So we bought her a sweater today, and she looks adorable!!! Pictures to come.. I promise.  Tonight we took them down to the beach and let them run around.  I love that dogs are allowed all over here, they get so much exercise-it's great!  But they were COVERED in sand!  It was worth it though, they look so happy when they're just chasing each other all over!

No comments: