Saturday, January 9, 2010

Serious Comfort Food

As I mentioned before, it's very cold here in Normal, IL.  I never even know the temperature, but I can always count on my dad to have looked it up and let me know just how freezing the windchill is all the way from Delaware.  He seems to know what's going on here long before I have any clue, it's like my own personal weather man (thanks Dad!).
Maybe it's the cold, or maybe it's because we're Americans, but I just can't get away from pizza.  We both love it.  While we were living in Spain, I would try to make homemade pizza whenever we had Spanish class, so we could come home to some awesome food after having our brains picked by our Spanish teacher.  But to be honest, I hate dough!  Any kind, pie dough, sugar cookie dough, scones, pizza, bread... it is all sticky!  And I have definitely not perfected the art of rolling out dough.
So this time around I decided to use my kitchen-aid, there is a recipe in the little instruction manuel, and it even said that the machine would knead the dough for me... amazing? yes.  I love being in control of the ingredients, which is why I tend not to go the easy route and buy dough from the store (plus, we did not have that luxury in Spain, so now I'm just used to it).  In an attempt to better our diet, I used whole wheat flour for half of the flour content in the dough, and then I let the machine do all the work =)

After 2 hours, I was really disappointed by how little the dough had risen, but I made the pizza anyway....



it was FANTASTIC!  Seriously the best pizza I've ever had, the dough had the perfect amount of crispness and fluffiness, and you can't beat pepperoni and green peppers!  Greg and I loved it, and the second day it was even better!  No more ordering out for us!

No comments: