Thursday, January 14, 2010

who doesn't love yellow



I've never painted a room before, I know, insane.  I've been on multiple mission trips, and I did paint the outside of a house, but I always opted out of being confined in a room with paint, I hate the smell.  But Greg and I decided to do it anyway.  Yellow is my favorite color, and our house is filled with lovely fall colors, so it seemed to fit as a new color for one of our guest rooms.  
Unfortunately the room in question was the go to room for ALL of our junk, so we've spent the last 2 weeks finding homes for everything (and stuffing some of those things in other small spaces).  There are always bumps in the road, and ours was taking down shelves in the bedroom, the old owners painted the hardware onto the wall, which in turn pulled off some drywall, etc.  But after applying some spackle we had a nice smooth finish to paint.  

I'd read about a new type of painters tape, called Frogger Tape, that when painted on, the water from the latex paint creates a barrier with the tape, getting rid of the leakage found with regular painters tape for nice crisp lines... so we were hopeful that it would work.  


The rest of the cast of characters... paint roller, 2 brushes, rolling pan (made from all recycled materials, and recyclable) and small paint trays ( made from 100% biodegradable plastic).  And we found a roller made with Teflon, so in support of Greg's job at DuPont, we of course had to buy it!  



I taped the room while Greg was at work, which was super easy.  And when we got home we got to painting.  And within 2 hours we were terrified that we'd made a big mistake.  It didn't look even and I was worried we turned our room into a taxi cab.  But after a few hours of drying, the room is beautiful!  It leaves you feeling cheery, and I'm super excited to say that the frogger tape was a success, no leaking and our trim is still beautifully white.  


No comments: